EASY SWING DRESS WITH OPTIONAL BELT

February 26, 2017


I picked up this black, white, grey chevron knit at the Fabric District in Downtown LA (aka Heaven on Earth) a couple months ago and decided to use it for one of my first post-baby sewing projects for myself.  I stared at the fabric for dayssss, trying to decide what to turn it into... where to start as I dove back in to sewing. 

Ultimately, I decided to keep it simple and start with something that's super wearable,
versatile, and forgiving for my post-baby, mushy tummy, too. :) I am by no means an expert seamstress. So simple pieces with minimal steps and quick turn-around are my jam.  Swing dresses are the perfect project for sewing beginners or those who like a simple, non-complex pattern... or those who have taken a break from sewing and need to ease back in. :) 

Swing dresses are easy to dress up, dress down, belt, or leave loose and flowy... When planning this post, I had originally planned to wear this dress with sandals and bare arms... then, Utah decided to revisit Winter once again. So, I had to ditch the sandals and go with boots + a cardigan. As much as I despise the snow and crave the sun, I'm glad this dress can do both. :) 

Make yourself one in a solid or a fun print! 




______________________________________________________________________________
Before you start, cut out all of the pieces you'll need -- a DRESS FRONT, DRESS BACK, LEFT & RIGHT SLEEVES, and NECKLINE LINING (and OPTIONAL BELT piece if you so choose). Typically when I am creating my pattern pieces, I will grab something similar from my closet to act as my guide -- another swing dress, a flowy top that can be lengthened to dress length, etc. Remember you can mix and match -- use a loose fitting tank top and add length and maybe then use another top with the sleeve fit and length that you'd like. Get creative! :) Use the above picture as a general guide for what your pattern pieces should look like, and the direction of the stretch. 

Now let's get started! 



Step 1.  Pin the DRESS FRONT and DRESS BACK pieces together (right sides together) at the shoulders and sew shoulder seam as pictured above.
Step 2. Pin DRESS FRONT and DRESS BACK pieces together (still right sides together) along sides and sew side seams. 

Step 3. Turn your dress right-side-out. Pin the SLEEVE pieces to the armholes, starting at the shoulder seam and working your way around to the bottom of the arm hole. Sew the sleeve to the arm holes. Do the same for both sleeves.
Step 4. Turn your dress inside out and hem both your sleeves and the bottom of the dress to your desired length. **TIP: When hemming knits, I typically use a walking foot and use a small zig-zag stitch to help maintain the stretch and avoid breaking thread upon wear of the garment. These two things will also help to minimize waviness at seams and hems.**


Step 5. With right sides together, fold your NECKLINE LINING piece in half length-wise and sew. **TIP: Make sure your neckline lining piece is slightly smaller than your actual neckline. This will create the right amount of stretch at the neckline and avoid waviness and gaping.** Turn NECKLINE LINING right-side-out again and fold the piece in half height-wise. Pin the NECKLINE LINING piece to the neckline of your dress (right side), with the open ends matching up to the neckline and the fold of the NECKLINE LINING extending over the dress (see picture for reference). Sew. 

Step 6. Turn your dress right-side-out and press seams, hems, and neckline. Add any necessary top-stitching. 


2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.