EASY DIY CAR SEAT + NURSING COVER

March 2, 2017


Before G was born, I looked around quite a bit at nursing covers and car seat covers, but didn't really find any I loved until my cousin showed me a couple companies that made a car seat & nursing cover in one.  I looooved the idea of these, but couldn't bring myself to spend $40 - $50 for them. I found myself coming back to one company's website over and over again. I'd put a cover in my cart, then take it out. Then put it back in again, only to take it out ten minutes later. Every time I
came close to buying one, I'd hear my mom's voice in my head saying "We could make that!" So, I finally left the website altogether and decided to search my fabric stash for this new project. Thanks, mom. ;)

And well, I'm glad I listened to her voice. Because it turns out, these are pretty darn easy to make (and fairly cheap, too!). If you'd like to see how to make one for yourself or for a friend (these would make awesome baby shower gifts!), keep reading for the tutorial. :)



______________________________________________________________________________

Step 1. To create your pattern pieces, you will need 4 sheets of standard 8 1/2 x 11 computer paper.
You will need three pieces, as is, and a fourth paper cut length-wise into three.

Step 2. Lay out pieces 1, 2, and 3 in a column (with papers oriented horizontally). Tape together. Then take pieces 4 and 5 and lay them next to this new block, on one top of the other. 


Step 3. Now you will draw out and cut your curve. The curve should start directly out from where pieces 1 and 2 meet. Then the curve will go up to the corner where pieces 1 and 4 touch, and continue upward to the top edge of piece 1. Cut.


Step 4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 for a second piece. Tape these two full pieces together to create your pattern piece like pictured below. 


Step 5. Lay your pattern piece on your fabric and pin. (To save time, pin to two layers of fabric at once). Take your fabric pieces and lay them on top of eachother, right sides together. Sew along sides.


And you're done! You can hem the top and bottom openings if you choose. I omitted this step since it was a knit and I knew it wouldn't fray. :)


5 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this tutorial! What kind of fabric did you use?! Hoping to make one for myself this next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! They are seriously so quick and easy, and so helpful! I used a thick jersey. But really, any stretchy knit fabric would work! You just want it to be stretchy in both directions - horizontally and vertically, if that makes sense. :)

      Delete
  3. How many yards of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same question as above!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.