Project #3: Shift Dress to Bell Sleeve BabyDoll Refashion

June 30, 2017



Hello, hello, hello! Today is Day 5 of Refashion Your Summer Wardrobe & my third refashion of the week! There was a lot of hard work and preparation that went in to this week, but these projects have been SO fun. I am excited to add these pieces to my wardrobe and I'm already planning out specific dates/occasions to wear them (anyone else do that??)

Two things I want to talk about today:


FIRST.

I have loved putting the focus on refashioning this week, sharing some of my tricks and methods with you all, and MOST OF ALL, I have absolutely LOVE seeing you share your refashions. (I have been sharing all the refashions people have posted on my insta stories, so make sure you follow along there!) I have been so amazed at the work you all do! One woman commented that refashioning takes courage... daring to cut into an already finished garment and step in to the shoes of "designer." She said that then it took even more courage to share your piece with other people. I so agree with this smart lady. It takes courage for both. I think it takes courage to embrace creativity in any form, really. We get this little spark, a little idea in our heads and it takes courage and guts and determination to run with it. I've talked before about self doubt, and it is so sneaky! It creeps in nearly every time I sit down and create. With most projects, I am second guessing myself and my work right up to the time I hit "post" on my blog or my social media. It takes courage to create, and like this lady said, even more courage to "share."

So, thank you, friends. For being brave and baring a bit of your hearts in these projects you've shared this week. I hope you will continue to create and continue to share.

SECOND.

This particular refashion reminded me of a couple of things... This was the 2nd attempt at this particular refashion. The first attempt was turning a skirt into a babydoll and though the idea was great, the execution just wasn't. It was sloppy. It didn't hang right. And after it was completed, I discovered a big fat stain across the back of the yolk. Dang it! I was frustrated and discouraged, but I determined to start again. The second time around, I took my time and knew what to be careful of. This was a reminder to me (and now, to you!) to take your time, be patient with yourself, and accept the fact that will probably have to start over every now and then. It's all part of the process, and that extra effort makes your finished project even more valuable. :)

This refashion also made me think about a question I get asked often : Do you have to size up in order to execute a successful refashion? And the answer is "no!" This is a prime example. This shift dress was originally my size. You don't need XXXL clothing to execute a successful refashion. Take inventory of what you have to work with. If you have a dress that's fairly true to your size, consider turning it into a top or a skirt! Turn a maxi dress in to a top or a dress! Add trims, contrasting fabrics, etc to make up the difference.

Those with a keen eye may notice that the bell sleeves on this top are NOT in matching eyelet. I ran out. :) So, I got creative and used the lining of the dress for the bell sleeve.

Refashioninng is a first hand lesson in troubleshooting, backup plans, and making do with what you have. That's part of why I love it. It's a challenge. :)

Okay! You've heard enough from me for today. Thanks for reading, friends. You can watch the transformation in video below! Happy Friday!








Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.