PERFECT FALL DESSERT: CARROT CAKE

September 26, 2016

Monday, September 26, 2016

This past weekend Saturday was one of those perfect chilly, gloomy, rainy transition days into Fall. The air was crisp and smelled like wet leaves. The sky was dark and cloudy. And the pitter-patter of rain falling to the earth filled my house through our open windows. It was one of those first Fall days requiring a sweater and slippers on my feet. One of those days that makes you want to light all the candles in your house, do some major cuddling, and bake something delicious.

I decided to make one of my favorite Fall treats - Carrot Cake. As a kid, I was appalled by the idea of carrot cake. Vegetables in cake? Yuck. But, thank goodness, I have since come around and opened my eyes to the carrot cake in all its tasty, moist wonder. Seriously, its one of the best treats. And feels so Fall-y. Plus, add cream cheese frosting to anything and you're in good shape.

There was kind of a funny story behind this particular baking extravaganza. Another case of pregnancy brain. This carrot cake recipe is from our family cookbook. However, there is a second carrot cake recipe in the family cookbook on the next page. When I started baking on Saturday, I didn't realize I was looking at the wrong recipe (some generic, average carrot cake recipe.... not our amazing family recipe). It felt "off" the entire time I was baking. Just didn't look quite right. But I didn't even consider that I was looking at the wrong recipe. Until it was done baking. And I turned the page in the cookbook. And alas, there was the correct recipe. I tasted the cake I had baked from the wrong recipe, and it just was. not. good. Not at all. So sub par and not at all what I had been anticipating all morning. (I found myself wondering why this crappy recipe was ever included in our family recipe book?)

Pregnancy hormones raging full force, I cried. And Dal tried to be sweet and comforting in between giggles at the situation. Long story short, I insisted upon starting over and making a new cake, with the correct recipe. And boy am I glad I did. All worth it when I took the first bite of the right cake. So much better. Mmmm.


Carrot Cake
  • 2 Cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 Cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 Cups oil
  • 2 Cups finely grated carrots
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Cup well-drained crushed pineapple
  • 1 Cup coconut
In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda). Add eggs, oil, carrots, and vanilla; beat until combined. Stir in pineapple and coconut. Pour into a greased pan (cake pan or bundt cake pan). Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick poked into cake comes out clean. Let cake cool. Top with cream cheese frosting. Store in refrigerator. 

Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
  • 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 Cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl with mixer until combined and smooth. 

And, enjoy! :)

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.