LATE POST - A LETTER TO MY BOY

February 9, 2017


**I wrote the below post on 1/26/17 and planned on publishing it in the evening that day. However, things took a very different turn that day and I ended up being admitted to have my baby.  It's been a whirlwind 2 weeks since... and I promise that stories of the labor, delivery, NICU, and life since Grayson are coming. But I wanted to share this post, still, to remember down the road.


---------THOUGHTS----------

My heart has been so full, especially these past few weeks. I had the opportunity to share our "story" of trying to get pregnant, being fearful that we couldn't, and then being blessed with this baby boy, at my baby shower this past week. I found myself overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for His ever-present hand in this whole process. Though there were times when I doubted and worried and wondered if He was listening... I know He was, and I know He had the perfect plan for our little family. I feel so blessed to have this little added perspective because of our individual journey in starting a family.

There are moments throughout the day when I stare at my belly and see the little kicks and I am just in awe... just in total amazement and humility, that Heavenly Father trusts me & Dal enough to have sent this angel to us. I know I don't deserve this baby boy. But that's how Heavenly Father works... when we seek Him and His hand and His will, He blesses us with more than we can receive, with more than we could fathom, with more than our hearts can hold. This baby, more than anything else in my life, has taught me about the love my Heavenly Father has for me.

I wrote this little letter/poem for our boy a couple of months ago... and the sentiment it expresses holds true today... especially with his arrival getting so close. <3


October 26, 2016
A Letter to my Boy


I've dreamt of you, sweet boy,
for as long as I can remember.

I've heard people ask my mom if I'm ready to have a baby, 
and she tells them I've been ready since the age of 12.

For the past ten years, I've sat and imagined
your fingers, your toes.
I've wondered if you'll have my eyes,
my curls, my freckles.
What parts of myself will I see in you? 

And what parts will be brand new, unmistakably you?

These daydreams started long before I heard your heartbeat, 
before the test read "positive", before I even knew your daddy.

When the time came that I fell in love, 
and your daddy and I got married, 
those dreams grew stronger...

And your daddy and I started to dream those dreams together.

But I waited. We waited. 
We worked hard to make sure we were ready to meet you, 
to bring you into a safe and stable home.

The waiting wasn't easy. Waiting never is.
We kept busy with school and work, friends and family
But all that time, I felt a hole in my life.

I filled that hole the best way I could - 
dreaming of you and who you might be
Would you be a leader? Would you be a true friend? 
Would you be soft and sweet? Would you be bold and brave? 

I imagined you, a million different ways. 

And when the time came that we had met our goals 
and we felt ready to bring you into our home, 
God told us He had a different plan for us. 
And that for a while longer, we'd have to wait. 

I felt scared, I felt angry. 
I felt sad, I felt incomplete.
I longed for you. 
I worried my dreams of you would forever just be dreams. 

Being a mother was entwined with my identity, my heart.
I doubted my worth. I questioned my purpose.

Your daddy and i, we prayed for you. 
We fasted for you. Cried over you. Talked about you. 
We prayed and prayed and prayed.
We chased our little dream, even when it felt out of reach.

There were days where the pain was almost unbearable, 
And I felt lost and confused and broken...

But, sometimes, there is beauty in waiting. 
Sometimes there is beauty in being broken.

Your daddy and I learned about patience,
about the agony of delayed blessings.
We learned about each other, and how to endure together. 
We learned about faith, and hope, and Jesus. 

I learned about myself, and my worth as a daughter of God.

And after our time of waiting, God answered our prayers. 
And unexpectedly, we found out you were being sent to us.

And from the moment I saw those 2 little lines on a white and purple stick,
I have felt the magnificent weight of being your mother. 

I have loved you, prayed for your health, your happiness.
I've spent hours feeling you kick and grow and move.
I've studied the ultrasound photos of you, 
And tried to imagine your face.

I've worried for your future, 
I've dreamt of your success
I've fussed over what you will wear, 
what toys you will have, 
what we will call you. 

I've obsessed over your hiccups, your stretches, your somersaults
I've stared at my stomach, watching you move and explore and experience this new body you've been given. 
All the while, dreaming of the day
when I'd finally meet you, face to face, 
And hold you in my arms.

You are my dream, sweet boy. 
You have brought me hope, given me love, 
taught me to trust in the Lord, 
to cherish your daddy. 

You've taught me the sanctity of life, 
the sweet innocence of youth.
You've given me purpose,
And truly given me a piece of Heaven on earth.

...and I haven't even met you yet.

I still dream about you, 
and all that you'll be.
I still wonder if you'll have my big eyes, 
or my "Knudsen nose." 

I wonder, too, what parts of your darling daddy you'll have--
his olive skin,
his thick, dark hair,
his golden eyes... 

But most of all, I wonder what your heart and your mind will be like--
What curiosity and wonder will you bring to the world?
What generosity, what passions, what fears you will have?

What will your dreams be?  

Above all, sweet boy, I hope you dream big. 
I hope you love with arms wide open .
I hope you are soft, even when the world tells you you must be hard.
I hope you are brave in the face of challenge that will inevitably come.
I hope you are bold when you need to be.

I hope you create... and discover the artist inside of you.
I hope you are kind to the lonely, the hurt, the different.
I hope you are patient with your daddy and I. We're learning, too. 
I hope you know where you came from, and whose you are. 
I hope you always remember that you were heaven-sent, a literal child of God. 
I hope that despite the darkness of the world, you maintain your light... and live close to your Heavenly Father.
I hope you look for the good - the beauty in ashes, the mercy in trials, the love in adversity. 

And, sweet boy of mine, I hope you live. Fully, fiercely, faithfully, live. 

I can only dream of who you'll be,
and what my life will be with you in it.
I pray the Lord will bless me with His eyes to see
all the grace and beauty and joy that you are. 


-Your Mama






Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.