DIY BABY CARDIGAN

March 26, 2017


 Yesterday our little Grayson boy was blessed in our church. It was a pretty special day for our family. :) It was one of those days where my heart was just... mush. haha. We were surrounded by our immediate and extended family and I was just in awe at the amazing people that love my little boy. It made me feel hopeful about his future and all of the souls here & in Heaven helping in his journey.

A few weeks ago, I got this crazy idea that I wanted to make something for each of the three of us to wear for G's blessing
day. So this past week (#procrastination) I had been working hard to get it all done. And I was super happy with our little matchy-matchy family outfits, haha! Too 90's? Maybe! But it was fun. I'll be sharing all three of these projects on the blog over the next week or so.

Today we'll start with the star of the show -- the little man. For his outfit, I went simple. But that's all it really needed to be with a boy this cute!

I decided I wanted to do a white cardigan, white onesie, and bowtie. I was trying to figure out a baby cardigan and after a couple days had the thought -- hey! it doesn't have to be a real cardigan. So, it's not. It's a cheat -- shh! But, what baby needs to be able to button and unbutton anyway? And making it in onesie form keeps it where it needs to be... not riding up or getting all twisted.

Anyway, it's super simple and easy! Anyone could pull it off. All you need is a long sleeve onesie, a little bias tape, and a few buttons.

Read below for the tutorial. :)





___________________________________________________________________________

Step 1.
Take your long-sleeve onesie and cut out the v-neck shape you want for the cardigan. Cut around the back of the neckline as well.
Step 2. 

Take bias tape (I used 2" double fold) and wrap it around the raw edge of the new neckline you just cut. Start at the bottom of the v-neck, on the left side. Cut the end of the bias tape diagonally, downward so that the edge is straight up and down at the middle of v-neck point. Continue to wrap bias tape upward, to the shoulder, around the back of the neckline, back to the opposite shoulder, and then downward until you return at the bottom of the "v." Pin in place.

Step 3. Cut a 1-2" slit downward at the point of the "v."
Step 4. 
Wrap the bias tape into the newly cut slit, and overlap with the beginning edge of the bias tape. Then drape the bias tape down the front of your onesie, on top of it, all the way to the bottom seam. Pin in place.

Step 5. 
Sew bias tape in place, using 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 6. 
Attach buttons where desired, and you are done! :) 


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.