THANKSGIVING THOUGHTS

November 28, 2016

Monday, November 28, 2016

It's hard to believe that November has come and (almost) gone. It was perhaps the quickest month of the year for me! Last week was Thanksgiving and we were able to go to Southern California and spend it with my family. I thought I'd recap some of my favorite things from our trip & also some of my thoughts + feelings as of late.

1. Family time. I wish I had an awesome picture to share, but I was
enjoying the trip and all our time together so much, I kept forgetting to get my camera out. But seriously, spending time with my family is my most favorite thing. I love sitting and chatting with my mama about silly girl movies and hobbies and projects. I love playing endless card games with everyone - this trip the fav was "Cover Your Assets." I love laughing at funny youtube videos with my brother and reminiscing about growing up together. I love grabbing dinner from our favorite local food places (like Sloppy Fries from Nogales, yum :P) and watching BYU football together.

This trip was also fun because we had a few "extras" with us - my Aunt & Uncle, my cousin + cousin-in-law, and their little boy. He is darling and so smart. He melted my heart everytime he asked me to come play "mar-balls" (marbles) with him. And we had lots of giggles watching him learn and figure things out... He was working on coming up with words that started with X letter and our favorite was "P-p-p-shirt!"

2. My mom, aunt, cousin, and I spent hours in the kitchen... chopping, cutting, stirring, peeling, sauteing, baking, and dishing up a delicious and beautiful meal for the family. I personally took charge of the Apple Pie and decided to get a little fancy on the top. It was fun & looked extra pretty on the table.





I was also in charge of decorating and setting the table, and pretty tables really make me happy. Fresh flowers + our traditional Australian Bon bons were the stars of the show.






3. The girls made a trip to the Fabric District in Downtown LA and it was a blast. I've been dying to make a trip for quite a while... Trust me, go once, and you will forever be disappointed by stores like JoAnns and Hobby Lobby. Especially if you use fabric mostly for apparel, like me. There is nothing like the fabric district. Crazy low prices and such a wide selection. We all felt like little kids in a candy shop as we browsed aisles and perused (literally) 20-feet high piles of fabric. I found a few gems that I am oh-so anxious to turn into pretty dresses for spring. :)

And even though it took us 3 HOURS to get home in awful traffic, the adventure was worth it. Such a fun treasure hunt.



4. On Black Friday, we hit JoAnns for the flannel sale and I picked up a few prints to make receiving blankets for our little guy. Can you see a color theme here? It was unintentional- but I'm digging it. I just love that I have these little projects + that I can create things for our little man. Baby blankets COMING SOON.



5. A picture of my puppy. Because dogs are the best, and cuddling your pup can seriously be one of the best forms of therapy. It's one of the things I look forward to most about going home.



6. Always, always, this cute little (growing) family of mine. My heart is full + I am so lucky I get these 2 boys forever.



7. My parent's birthdays were last weekend, and Dal made a beautiful chalkboard for my mom to put in her house (he's awesome). She asked me to write on it while I was down & this was the quote she chose:



Oddly enough, I had posted this quote on my Instagram just a week prior, as it had been running through my head for a few days.

The past few weeks, I've had my own set of inner struggles and battles. I've been dealing with my own trials of self-doubt, fears about the future, and the weight of sadness and concern over some really hard things my loved ones are going through.

I've found myself dealing with a wide array of emotions- frustration, anxiety, anger, confusion, empathy, worry, doubt, and loneliness. But as I've been dealing with some of these things, I've felt, over and over, little reassurances... little glimmers of hope... little moments of peace. And I know those have all come from a loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of me and very, very aware of all these emotions weighing on my heart.

Isn't it amazing to know that our Father in Heaven truly, truly loves us and knows us? That, quite literally, we have Heavenly Parents - and a whole array of other Heavenly friends + family members - cheering us on as we struggle and grow and learn on this journey of life. I find so much power and courage in that.

I've also been thinking about the word "weight." I feel like I've come to appreciate and gain a new perspective on this word lately... Most of the time, I think we use the term in a negative way, but I'm starting to appreciate the fact that the Lord gives us different "weights," or trials, tests, responsibilities, and yes, even blessings, to help us grow. I feel like lately I've received a lot of "weights" from the Lord. And though at times I am tempted to see them simply as things that pull me down, slow me, and drain me emotionally, I am starting to see that these weights are meant to build my strength + faith + courage, to develop my "spiritual muscles," and allow me to bless the lives of others. Heavenly Father has given me the "weight" of motherhood. The "weight" of  working with the Young Women in my ward. The "weight" of comforting and praying for and worrying about loved ones. The "weight" of service opportunities for friends and family. The "weight" of financial burdens. And many others.

But I'm beginning to see... all of these "weights" are starting to make me grow. In faith, in testimony, in love, in selflessness, in empathy, in charity, in hope. I love that this quote from Elder Holland encourages us to keep growing as we believe and trust in the Lord.

I have felt reassurances that Heavenly Father knows who we are and exactly how we feel... and exactly what he has called us to bear. He challenges us. He tests us. He places "weights" on our backs to build us up and help us grow. And I know he doesn't ask us to carry them alone. I've felt the relief and support of the Savior, as He has walked alongside and helped me carry them. And I know he will do the same for you, if you ask. Oh, we have so much to be thankful for. 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.