Denim Overall Dress Refashion

May 10, 2017



We're going back to the 90's/00's with a lot of the trends this year. And I'm not complaining! (Except for the choker thing... I still don't quite get that one. But power to all the girls who rock it anyway!)

So. As an "artist," some days I feel completely blank. Not a speck of creativity or inspiration to be found. I feel unmotivated and so not confident.

And other days, I can't sketch fast enough to keep up with the ideas in my head! The art just comes freely... flows my from head to my hands and into my creations. It's an amazing feeling. You lose all
sense of time and just get right into the groove. The best.

That's where I was the other night. In a creative "flow." And that jean dress in my closet morphed into a little "overall" dress. :)

I wore this dress a couple days ago while Baby G and I went for a loooong walk in the (finally!) beautiful, warm, spring weather (thank you, Utah!) And it was so comfy, cool, and still felt put together (despite the spit up I had on my shirt and the 4th day of dry shampoo in my hair). And it's such a simple refashion, anyone could do it! It could totally be done with non-denim dresses, too. 

Refashion #3 for #MeMadeMay is done! Check. :) 

Read below for the full tutorial.




___________________________________________________________________________

Kayyyyyy, let's do this!



Step 1.
Try on your dress and stand in front of a mirror. Generally mapped out the shape that you want your overalls to be. Using pins + tailor's chalk, mark where to cut the top, slopes, under arms, and back. Then, remove the dress and cut out the shape.



Step 2.
Next, I took all of the remaining fabric and basically cut up the preexisting sections/panels and layed the fabric out in front of me so that I could see what I was working with. I wanted to make sure I used the fabric as efficiently as possible so as not to run out.


Step 3
Next I figured out how long my straps from front to back would need to be, using my cut dress. Then, using the scraps, I cut out 2" wide strips until I had that desired length. For mine, my straps were each about 22" inches long.


Step 4.
Next I put right sides together to attach the strips into two full length, 22" inch pieces. Then I sewed them together.


Step 5.
Place your strap right side down on ironing board and fold back both edges to the center. Iron all the way down your straps. Now, your strap should be a width of about 1".


Step 6. 
Sew along both sides of the strip, where you folded and pinned the sides down, about 1/4" from each side. 

Step 7.
Create bias tape from excess fabric. (Don't know how? check out this tutorial here)
Wrap double-fold bias tape around the raw edges of the top of your dress, from front to back. Pin in place and sew.

Step 8. 
Try dress on and pin straps in place where you'd like them, tucking ends under the dress. Pin in place & sew.
___

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kali Nicole. Design by Fearne.